I know. The title of this post is vague. I'm grumpy because "gem push" to rubygems.org is not working for me.
If I try this:
gem1.9.1 push ...
I get an unknown error command.
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError) Unknown command push
Huh!??!?! I'm trying an update of my installed rubygems. I also think its time to purge my system of Ruby 1.8.
Well, maybe not. Looks like 1.8 works now that I've installed libopenssl-ruby1.8:
$ sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby1.8 Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following extra packages will be installed: libssl-dev libssl0.9.8 The following NEW packages will be installed: libopenssl-ruby1.8 The following packages will be upgraded: libssl-dev libssl0.9.8 2 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 350 not upgraded. Need to get 5,566kB of archives. After this operation, 709kB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org squeeze/main libssl-dev 0.9.8m-2 [2,155kB] Get:2 http://ftp.debian.org squeeze/main libssl0.9.8 0.9.8m-2 [3,020kB] Get:3 http://ftp.debian.org sid/main libopenssl-ruby1.8 184.108.40.206-2 [391kB] Fetched 5,566kB in 40s (138kB/s) Preconfiguring packages ... (Reading database ... 109200 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to replace libssl-dev 0.9.8k-8 (using .../libssl-dev_0.9.8m-2_i386.deb) ... Unpacking replacement libssl-dev ... Preparing to replace libssl0.9.8 0.9.8k-8 (using .../libssl0.9.8_0.9.8m-2_i386.deb) ... Unpacking replacement libssl0.9.8 ... Selecting previously deselected package libopenssl-ruby1.8. Unpacking libopenssl-ruby1.8 (from .../libopenssl-ruby1.8_220.127.116.11-2_i386.deb) ... Processing triggers for man-db ... Setting up libssl0.9.8 (0.9.8m-2) ... Setting up libssl-dev (0.9.8m-2) ... Setting up libopenssl-ruby1.8 (18.104.22.168-2) ... localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/locale: 0 KiB localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/man: 0 KiB Total disk space freed by localepurge: 0 KiB
Still won't work with gem1.9.1!!
Aha, I think I figured it out. For some reason, even though recent releases of gemcutter, like 0.5.0 require rubygems 1.3.6, I only have rubygems 1.3.5. Debian won't allow a --system upgrade.
gem install gemcutter -v 0.4.0 ERROR: Error installing gemcutter: gemcutter requires RubyGems version >= 1.3.6
Alas, debian squeeze just doesn't have 1.3.6, so I've installed rubygems-update and ran /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/bin/update_rubygems.
To revert from this, I deleted /usr/lib/ruby1.9.1/gems/1.9.1/gems/gemcutter-0.5.0/ and uninstalled the debian rubygems1.9.1 package and then installed it again.
Ugh. That didn't do it either, I needed to do this, too:
rm -rf /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.9.1/
After all that, I again tried installing gemcutter and in went ahead and installed 0.5.0. That's clearly not compatible with rubygems 1.3.5 so it just shouldn't install.
So, indeed, if I want to use "gem push", it appears I have to keep ruby 1.8.