Doh! I haven't used Inkscape in months and when I tried loading it today nothing came up.
From the command line, I get this:
inkscape: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1: undefined symbol: gtk_info_bar_get_type
I decided some library or another was out of whack, so I did an upgrade, and figured while I was at it I'd upgrade my kernel. I've grown tired of the udev warnings about my linux version.
I upgraded to linux 2.6.30 from linux 2.6.26, tried to upgrade madwifi but it failed. Turns out I can use ath5k now. Awesome!!
Inkscape still doesn't work, though... not giving up! :-)
UPDATE: I'm really psyched about using ath5k and that its working. I've tried it before without any luck, but now its working really well.