When I recently setup some new Docunext network tools, I figured it would be nice to store some of the queries in a hash database and create a “recent queries” list.

It worked fine and I’m pleased with the results, so much that I wanted to expand on the use of such setups. First I wanted to combine all the database files and use key prefixes or something similar to isolate the data. Secondly, I wanted to find if there was any better way to configure my setup.

Today I got my answer: MemcacheDB!

So far I’ve only experimented with it using the Ruby memcache library, but the results were as I’d hoped, so I plan to migrate some tools over soon.

Oh yeah, when I was experimenting I realized that memcachedb supports namespaces, which makes everything much easier!