I just tried out awchat - works fine, but the interface is a little quirky. I’m looking forward to using it alongside pidgin. I’m currently using it with ejabberd, but I’m also evaluating djabberd.

While on the subject, I tried out ldap authentication with ejabberd - it works! I can’t get register to work though, so I’m upgrading to 1.1.4, hopefully nothing breaks in the process. :-)

Good, nothing broke, but I don’t think its possible to register when using LDAP authentication. Oh well.

I found these links helpful:



I also emailed this to Martin:

Thanks for your djabberd instructions, worked great for me. I installed DJabberd via CPAN on debian, so my start script looked like this:
d_start() {
  start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE -m \
  -d /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/DJabberd \
  --chuid djabberd \
  --background \
  --exec $DAEMON -- $OPTS
and I had to chown djabberd.log /var/log/djabberd.log (after having previously starting djabberd as root to debug). You probably already know this, but maybe it will help your readers.

Can’t seem to get djabberd to authenticate with LDAP for some reason…

DEBUG DJabberd.Connection.XML.ClientIn         1 ><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><stream:stream from='blah.savonix.com' id="16493c54fcd56b291d9250db1499397d080c1ddb" version='1.0'  xmlns:stream="http://etherx.jabber.org/streams" xmlns="jabber:client"><stream:features><auth xmlns='http://jabber.org/features/iq-auth'/></stream:features>

DEBUG DJabberd.Connection.XML.ClientIn         1 < <iq type='get' id='purplec35090bf'><query xmlns='jabber:iq:auth'><username>albert</username></query></iq>

INFO  DJabberd.Connection.XML.ClientIn         &ltiq  type='result' id='purplec35090bf'><query xmlns='jabber:iq:auth'><username>albert</username><password/><resource/></query></iq>

DEBUG DJabberd.Connection.XML.ClientIn         1 < <iq type='set' id='purplec35090c0'><query xmlns='jabber:iq:auth'><username>albert</username><resource>Home</resource><password/></query></iq>

INFO  DJabberd.Authen.LDAP                     Searching (&(objectClass=simpleSecurityObject)(uid=albert)) on ou=jabbers,dc=savonix,dc=com

INFO  DJabberd.Authen.LDAP                     Account albert not found.

DEBUG DJabberd.Connection.ClientIn             DISCONNECT: 1

UPDATE: See DJabberd on Debian