Looks like the newest release of MacFUSE and sshfs are all I need to turn the switch for AFP and SMB to "off". That'll be a great move!
To use MacFUSE and sshfs (you need Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger):
- Download and install MacFUSE-Core-0.2.5.dmg
- Download and install sshfs-0.2.0.dmg
- You should probably restart now
- Open the sshfs program, enter the target server address, username, and directory. After clicking enter, you'll be prompted for a password.
- Upon authentication, the remote filesystem will be mounted.
I just found MacFusion (Macfusion.dmg)which looks like it has some cool gui niceties, like keychain password integration! Actually, it even has the one feature I really missed: public key!